Many writers believe they’re that perfect writer, the genius, the one who just penned the Great Novel.
But they just haven’t got round to sending it.
So you’re waiting for the right moment to send your manuscript? Yes, I know it’s literary gold and it will sell for millions and mummies will name their kids after you, but…you haven’t sent it, have you?
Perhaps I should let you into some open secrets:
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding was originally turned down by twenty publishers
- A Time to Kill by John Grisham was rejected by sixteen agents
- Watership Down by Richard Adams was rejected by thirteen publishers
- G P Taylor, author of Shadowmancer, self-published before clinching a deal with Faber
- And last but not least J K ‘Billionaire’ Rowling was rejected by a dozen publishers
How’s the coffee?You’ve smelled it, haven’t you? If you want to be published expect rejection.That’s how you know you’re onto a winner. Agents get it wrong. Publishers get it wrong. Please, give them a chance not to live it it down.
So dust off your manuscript. Yes, I know it’s brilliant. Just send it. And while you’re waiting, keep writing.